National Rail Enquiries
We are the definitive source of customer information for all passenger rail services on the National Rail network in England, Wales and Scotland.
National Rail Enquiries (part of the Customer Experience directorate) has evolved from a contact centre business to a multi-channel award-winning customer service provider. We handle an average of two and a half million journey planning enquiries every week day through our contact centre, mobile, apps, website and through information services supplied to 3rd parties. We offer journey planning, ticket sales, real time information, fares information and a range of rail-related information to rail customers.
With over 352 million customer contacts, each year you might expect National Rail Enquiries (NRE) to be a large organisation. On the contrary - through our innovative approach to multi-sourcing, for which we have won several awards, we have a small company of just twenty five staff. The NRE Team is spilt out across these areas, reporting directly to the Chief Executive who is guided by a Board:
- Customer Information - responsible for the ongoing provision of concise, consistent and accurate information which is delivered through our information services to third parties
- Online Services - responsible for the strategic development and day-to-day operation of our self-service channels
- Contact Centre - responsible for the strategic development and overseeing the day-to-day operation of our customer contact centre
- Commercial - responsible for strategy, financial and commercial planning
To ensure our customers are satisfied with every aspect of our service, we continually review and monitor how we are doing. Surveys are carried out on a continuous basis using external and impartial auditors.
- www.nationalrail.co.uk is the number one website in travel and transport, with 17 million people using our service in 2013
- over 3.5 million downloads of our smart phone apps
- 1.3 million registered customers and followers
- 352 million contacts between 1 April 2012 and 31 March 2013
- 32 million third party contacts
- 28 awards
Our contact centre continues to remain a popular choice for customers seeking information. Here is a snapshot of our call answering statistics for the period 1 April 2012 and 31 March 2013:
- Number of calls offered - 4,555,834
- Number of calls answered - 4,321,497
- Percentage of calls answered - 95%
- Average time to answer calls - 27 seconds