ATOC's mission is to work for passenger rail operators in serving customers and supporting a prosperous railway.
Set up after privatisation in 1993, the Association brings together all train companies to preserve and enhance the benefits for passengers of Britain’s national rail network, which jointly we do by providing these services:
- a central clearing house for the train operators, allowing passengers to buy tickets to travel on any part of the rail network, from any station, through the Rail Settlement Plan
- a customer experience operation, comprising:
- National Rail Enquiries, giving passengers up-to-the-minute information on train times, fares, reservations and service disruption across the country; and
- commercial activities, such as a range of discounted and promotional railcards, cutting the cost of travelling by train for groups including young people, families, senior citizens and people with disabilities
- running the rail staff travel service, enabling most staff in the industry to benefit from some level of concessionary travel
- an operations, engineering and major projects team, that supports Scheme members in delivering a safe, punctual and economic railway
From 2011, the Rail Delivery Group has been responsible for policy formulation and communications on behalf of the whole rail industry.